Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tim Gunn and the art of teaching



The inimitable Tim Gunn
Mrs. B
 
Say what you will about drama queens, prima donnas, and Heidi Klum, I really like Tim Gunn of Project Runway.   The man knows design, and just as importantly, how to critique the fashion works set before him.  I love the way he exudes personal warmth while illuminating potentially disastrous design decisions to contestants.  Anyone can affirm good work or, conversely, rip it apart.   It takes a superb teacher to ask just the right questions prompting a person to find the solution themselves.   I need to get better at asking more questions, not giving answers.   In the words of Mark van Doren, “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery."  I need to channel Tim's teaching style more, and maybe I can improve my fashion sense as well.      

No comments:

Post a Comment