Saturday, November 20, 2010

Unsung Heros and Charcoal Dust

If you're looking for job security in the cleaning business, punch your ticket for handling a well-loved art room.  Let your imagination run wild with the sheer depth of germs stirred together with daunting layers of ground -in charcoal, paint smears and dried glue.  Frankly, my students' efforts can't even come close to matching the determination of Mrs. McBride.  Loaded with a spray bottle and a Magic Eraser, the woman takes no prisoners.  My desks mutely surrender to her single-minded attentions once a week.  At the battle's conclusion, for 15 whole minutes, my room stands as a silent testimony to Scottish industry.  At minute 16, the bell rings, my students pour in, and the cycle begins again.  Thanks to Mrs. McBride, we get a clean slate once a week on which to create anew.  What a great spiritual metaphor for Psalm 51:7:  "Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." (NLT 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment